Did you know that giving proper care to a plastic resin mold will allow you to keep them in tip-top shape for many castings? Here are a few suggestions:
1. After demolding your pieces, remove any resin drips while it is still in the soft cure stage. It will be much harder to remove the resin later once it has dried hard.
2. Wash your mold with a good detergent and warm water. I do this after every casting to remove any residue, dust, or excess colorant. Hint: If you need to dry your mold, use a soft, lint-free cloth. You don’t want to leave fuzzies that will show up in your next casting.
3. Store your molds either vertically or horizontally, but make sure they’re not twisted. If they stay in a twisted position for a long time, they may not lie flat again.
4. Keep them out of direct sunlight and away from heat vents. The excess heat may cause your molds to warp!
5. Be careful what you use in your molds. The plastic is sturdy, but it will scratch. Use caution when using anything with a point, like a toothpick, pin, nail, etc, because it will scratch the surface.
What plastic resin mold care tips do you have to share?
Unpublished Blog Posts of Resin Obsession, LLC © 2020 Resin Obsession, LLC