This is a resin experiment that worked …mostly!
I found this mold in the bargain bin of my local art store. It had 6 rectangles, approximately 1 inch x 1.2 inches and is meant for candles. I’m not sure how they are used, not being a candle hobbyist, but the price was right to do some experimenting with.
Although I’m always excited to experiment I never expect too much because bringing an idea to execution is, as many of you know, challenging. However, I am never deterred from trying, after all art is experimentation. That is what makes it so fun and keeps me coming back for more!
Thinking that this experiment didn’t warrant a resin mix in itself because it was a small project. I waited until my next resin pour which ended up being leftover Super Clear Resin, I mixed with Resin Obsession transparent purple color pigment. I sprayed the mold with Castin’ Craft Mold Release and filled 4 of the molds about 1/3 full.
The next day I popped them out, which was not easy. This is always a risk you have with working with molds not made for resin or are not made from silicone. Thank goodness I used the mold release or they may not have come out at all! I was left with mostly opaque purple squares and a mold that will never work again.
I put them aside and thought I would try my newly acquired Pearl Ex in my next resin pour.
There are often ridges where you pour resin in molds that I generally sand off. In this case, I left them on so that when I poured in more resin it would be ‘cradled’ somewhat. In my next resin pour, using the leftover bit of Super Clear Resin I had, I poured it on the pieces and added my favourite teal sparkles I use on everything. Then, I used 4 different types of metallic Pearl Ex powdered pigments, putting in only a minuscule amount on the top of my toothpick. I then used my toothpick to swish them around into somewhat of a design.
The next day revealed that of the four, one turned out way cooler then I could have expected. The other three were either over poured and a big resin mess or under poured and just boring. Here are two of them, the other one was too messy and went straight to the garbage.
Of all of the casting resin in candle molds projects, here is the one I really like…..
I sanded down rough edges, glued a bail to the back, added a chain and now I have a new, quite fancy necklace. Now I just need a fancy event to go to!
So it looks like casting resin in candle molds might be an option!
Unpublished Blog Posts of Resin Obsession, LLC © 2020 Resin Obsession, LLC