How to care for your plastic resin molds
Did you know that a few simple steps will allow you to keep your resin molds in tip top shape for many castings? Here’s a few suggestions:
1. After demolding your pieces, remove any resin drips while it is still in the soft cure stage. It will be much harder to remove the resin later once it has dried hard.
2. Wash your mold with a good detergent and warm water. (Dawn works well.) I do this after every casting to remove any residue, dust, or excess colorant. Hint: If you need to dry your mold, use a soft, lint free cloth. You don’t want to leave fuzzies that will affect your next casting.
3. Store your molds either vertically or horizontally, but make sure they’re not twisted. If they stay in the twisted position for a long time, they may not lie flat again.
4. Keep them out of direct sunlight and away from heat vents. The excess heat may cause your molds to warp!
5. Be careful what you use in your molds. The plastic is sturdy, but it will scratch. Use caution when using anything with a point, like a toothpick, pin, nail, etc, because it will scratch the surface.
What else do you do to keep your resin molds like new?