Using a silicone mold to create your resin jewelry can open up so many possibilities! Another important part of this is proper silicone mold care. After you have gone to the trouble of purchasing or making your resin silicone molds, you want to make sure they last. Caring for your molds isn’t difficult, but there are a few things to remember:
1. Store your silicone molds in a single, flat layer. Storing them in a pile may cause them to bend and warp. Once a silicone mold is warped, it cannot be undone. Hint: To create more storage space, use a piece of cardboard on top of a layer of molds to create a new storage layer. Be sure to evenly distribute the molds on the next layer.
3. Store your silicone molds cool, dry area, out of direct sunlight. Excessive heat can cause the molds to warp or breakdown.
4. If you’re not going to be using your silicone mold for a while, consider storing a casting in the mold to help ensure it will retain its shape. Hint: if it’s an intricate mold and you’re worried about getting the model back into the mold, try pouring warm candle wax into the mold. It should easily demold later.
5. Do not pierce holes in your mold. This may cause the mold to lose its shape.
6. When finished with your silicone mold, wash it with warm water and mild soap before storing it. Do not use solvents to clean your mold and do not place it in the dishwasher. Make sure your molds are completely dry before storing them.
7. Be careful when applying heat to your silicone mold. You don’t want to warp or burn the mold. I like to use a heat gun to gently apply heat instead of the flame from a torch or lighter.
What other silicone mold care steps do you like to take?
Unpublished Blog Posts of Resin Obsession, LLC © 2020 Resin Obsession, LLC