Jewelry price tags

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Katherine Swift 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

This question comes from Penny:

Hi, I just wanted to know how you put price tags on your jewelry when you go to craft shows. I’m doing my first show this weekend in many years and wondering what the best way is to show the price. I have my business card attached to about half the items because they were in a shop. I really don’t like to sticker them or make a list they have to look at. Any suggestions?

#9165 Reply

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

Hi Penny,

Good luck at your first show! You will be exhausted by the end, but hopefully with lots of sales to show for it!

I wish I had a great answer for you on the price tags. I don’t know as though I ever found the ‘magic bullet’ for my situation, but I will share with you what did and did not work

1. Hanging price tags are a mess! They are either so small so as not to distract from the jewelry, which doesn’t leave you much room to write, or they are so large it looks like you are at a flea market. They also get twisted up when you are packing or unpacking the jewelry.

2. I liked stickers when I pre-packaged jewelry in cellophane. These were items I put in a basket for people to pick through. (This was always a hit. Why… I’m not sure.) Stickers on the jewelry itself is not a good idea. After they have been on there awhile, you will need goo-gone or something similar to get off the adhesive.

3. When I made metal and semi-precious stone jewelry, I used black polished river rocks to write the description and price on them with a metallic Sharpie. I got lots of comments that people thought it was creative. I liked it because it went with the jewelry well.

4. Once I moved on to resin jewelry, and streamlined what I made, I tried to group my items according to price points. Then, instead of labeling each piece, I could put up a sign with a price for the group. i.e., all colored dangle resin earrings are $20 per pair or three for $50. I would print out papers on my printer and cut to fit an acrylic display holder from the office supply store.

Regardless of how you do your signs, you are still going to have people ask you prices on your items. Take it as feedback on where to put/move your prices to make things clearer for customers.

Don’t know if you have seen this, but here are a few of my tips for doing a show.

16 sign ideas for your next jewelry craft fair booth

12 lessons learned from selling jewelry at art shows and craft fairs

Hoping to hear you make great sales!

#9173 Reply

Penny

Thanks for the advice, it was very helpful. On the subject of selling I came up with another question if you don’t mind. Should a seller sell their mistakes if they are not too bad. I have a few items that are not worthy of selling at full price (too many bubbles, cloudy, etc) that I hang on to (don’t know why) that I could sell for a few bucks. Is this cool or uncool?
    Thanks. Penny

#9174 Reply

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

I don’t think it’s a problem as long as you make people aware of it. Maybe don’t point out the exact thing that’s the flaw, but put them in a bargain bin stating they are your seconds and imperfects.

Keep in mind though, are these pieces that you want people to wear and share that you made them? i.e. Would you be proud for someone to wear the piece and say you were the artist? On a side note, I usually give these to family. LOL I hope they don’t read this….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Jewelry price tags
Your information: