Using a Flap Lap to send resin

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Kayla

Hello,
      Do you know if I could use a flat lapidary system to sand small resin pieces? I have been filling an oven pan with water, laying wet sand paper in the pan and using that to sand my pieces down. However this takes too much time and really hurts my hands with as much production as I am doing.
      I am looking for a faster way to sand my jewelry pieces that does not require as much wrist movement.
      I have tried using a rotary tool but that seems too harsh for my small pieces and I cannot seem to keep a grip on them and they go flying.

Thanks!
      Kayla

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

I have not tried a flat lapidary system. Does it allow for the sandpaper and casting to be wet during the process?

Kayla Burke

Yes, the flat lap is a wet sanding system. Which is way it seems appealing, however the shading discs are made to grind down rocks and minerals. Not sure if the discs would be to harsh for the resin. It is an expensive system, so I am looking for any expertise before I commit to buying one.

Thanks!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Kayla,

I have used these for lapidary work, but not for resin. I would expect it to work, but would suspect the fine grit wheels would be plenty coarse for what you want to do. Perhaps you could find a used one somewhere? I would hate to pay full price for one.

Do you have a flex shaft? This is the attachment I use for mine to do a lot of resin sanding: https://ww2.riogrande.com/product/wolf-belt-sander-for-flex-shaft/201770

Kayla Burke

That looks like something that could work. However you would be unable to wet sand, correct?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

I will drip water onto the belt as it is sanding with a syringe. It won’t be as wet as your lap sander, but won’t be dry either.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Using a Flap Lap to send resin’ is closed to new replies.
close

Wanna hang out? Cool. We love creative people.

Subscribe to blog updates10.2k
Follow on Facebook22.5k
Follow on Pinterest187.9k
Follow on Instagram15.7k
Follow on Youtube73.1k
Subscribe to forum updates