Food safe resin

This topic contains 26 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Katherine Swift 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

Response from Bob:

Summary of what I think I need to do.

Make a female cavity mold of the outside of the glass and then a male, smaller plug for the inside
    of the glass. I need to suspend the plug in the cavity mold using toothpicks, (somehow) then
    as I pour the resin into the mold, insert my items into the resin and be careful I don’t come in
    contact with the outside and the inside so they don’t poke through.

Does this sound about right?

#7861 Reply

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

You got it Bob! If you are working with a very stiff silicone, making the two parts is unnecessary as a stiff silicone won’t collapse on itself while you are trying to pour the resin.

You would probably do best to try to suspend the ‘male’ part of your mold from above.

I would love to see pictures of your finished project. Please share!

#7960 Reply

bob schwarz

Hi, Can I make a female mold of a glass, then brush on a thin layer of resin to the wall and let it harden, then another thin layer of resin to this thin “skin” of resin and while still wet ,embed items onto it. Let this harden and then pour another layer of resin to encapsulate these embedded items. I want to confirm that pouring multiple layers of the same resin will permanently bond to each other and also not leave any witness lines from one to another. Thanks for all your help

#7963 Reply

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

Good news — applying layers of the same resin to each other will bond fine.

Bad news — there isn’t going to be an easy way for resin to stay on the wall of the mold. Gravity is going to work it’s magic and pool it at the bottom.

#7968 Reply

bob schwarz

Hi
    Good and bad yes, but….. I am going to be patient and try painting multiple very thin layers of resin to slowly build it up. I have lots of patience when it achieves something really cool. Or, is there a way to adjust consistency of the resin and make it a little thicker? Or can I apply the thin layer of resin on the walls and use a hair dryer to speed up the drying rate? Thank you for your info.

#7969 Reply

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

Hi Bob,

Unfortunately, in this case, there is nothing I would recommend to adjust the consistency of the resin. I’m glad to hear you are willing to be patient. 🙂

A hairdryer or heat gun can speed up the process, but once again, be patient. There can be ‘too much of a good thing’ in this case. If the resin gets too hot, it can cure very quickly, but with bubbles and/or a cloudy appearance.

I would love to hear how this works out for you.

#7971 Reply

bob schwarz

Thanks Katherine,
    I’ll be ordering resin and mold release and will keep you posted. Slow and steady.
    thanks for your replies and encouragement.

#8677 Reply

Alana

Hi Katherine,

I have polished coconut cups (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/49/43/ec/4943ec74928d38637fdb1a641fc71a35.jpg) that I want to use to serve cocktails in at our wedding. Unfortunately the liquid leaks through the shell and I was looking for a resin that I could apply on inside / and or outside that would be safe for my guests to drink from.

Would the Alumilite Amazing Clear Cast Epoxy resin be safe to use?

Many thanks,
    Alana

#8683 Reply

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

Hi Alana,

Yes. https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/products/alumilite-amazing-clear-cast-epoxy-resin-16-ounces

This resin is designated as FDA food safe once cured as per FDA CFR 177.2600. Resin must be mixed 1:1 by volume (not weight) in a smooth sided cup to ensure complete blending. Allow a full 7 day cure before using castings for food purposes. Pieces are suitable for cold or warm food contact only. Cured pieces are not dishwasher, microwave oven or conventional oven safe.

#8693 Reply

Alana

Thanks Katherine, that’s great news! Alana

#8864 Reply

alex

Hi! I also need food-safe resin to cast into molds (for wet and dry food), I have seen your Alumilite Amazing Clear Cast Epoxy Resin, which may be useful for me. Can you ship it to Europe? To Spain? Which is the delivery price and timing? Also, I need food-safe pigments for this resin, do you have any? Thank you very much!

#8867 Reply

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

Hi Alex, yes, we can ship this resin to you in Europe. This article explains our shipping policies and costs. https://www.resinobsession.com/shipping-policy Unfortunately, however, none of the resin colorants we sell are designated food-safe.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
Reply To: Food safe resin
Your information: