3-D Flowers in Coasters

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katie Parmeter

Hi there—I’ve watched untold numbers of YouTubes and still can’t get the 3-D resin flowers to work. Either the white resin sinks to the bottom of the mold or it disappears completely. I’ve tested with .5-2 oz of resin and mix it with 1-4 drops of Castin’ Craft white liquid pigment. I use a silicone brush tool or a pastry bag to shape the loops that are supposed to become petals as they settle and flow through the base. I’m not coloring the resin base, just using heated resin (heated to remove bubbles with a heat gun or butane lighter). Is it that I’m not waiting long enough for the resin base in the coaster to thicken? Most often the white resin just sinks like a squiggle/blob to the bottom of the coaster mold (which is supposed to become the top). I know this has to be the balance of consistency between the base resin and the white resin, but I just can’t figure out the trick! It’s so frustrating because I’m wasting a not insignificant amount of resin as you can imagine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Katie,

Have you tried adding Pinata white alcohol ink to the cup with the Castin’ Craft white pigment? The alcohol ink won’t sink like the Castin’ Craft does.

This is the stuff I’m talking about: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/liquid-colorants/products/pinata-white-alcohol-ink

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘3-D Flowers in Coasters’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube