Adding resin over inlay ring

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Alex

Hi Katherine,

First, thanks for all your tips and advice, I’ve been watching a lot of your YouTube videos!

I’m trying to find the best way to seal/protect a carbon fiber inlay that is inserted in a titanium ring. Here is an example of a finished product: http://imgur.com/a/V8578

Do you think this could be accomplished with an epoxy or polyester resin with sealer spray? Any tips or advice would be much appreciated! Thank you

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Are you trying to protect the inlay from wear marks? Are these fibers fragile? I’m trying to understand what damage you are trying to prevent.

Alex

Mostly to protect from water. If the inlays get wet they can expand and/or become damaged over time.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

The resin is going to get them ‘wet’ as well. I’m not sure it’s your best choice. Have you tried some kind of wax protectant?

Alex

Hmmm I don’t think wax protectant would work. I’m pretty sure they are using resin on the ring in the example. It’s very hard & clear. It’s waterproof and doesn’t have a strong chemical smell like the epoxy resin I’ve tried. I’m just trying to figure out what exactly is being used.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

If you can seal the carbon fibers with a protectant first, then resin would work. Otherwise, the fibers could take up ‘water’ stains.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Adding resin over inlay ring’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube