Air waves develop when I pour large amounts…why?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Matt

I’m still relatively new and working with resin. Im sure I am the typical “Isaw it on YouTube and I want to do it do” person, but hey we all got to start somewhere. I am an electrician, but I do a little bit of everything so I own a handyman business, so I figured this would be something I can handle. Recently while working with some mango I attempted to pour a river table only to find after the resin cured there were these air waves that developed. I figured you might be because I did not seal the wood and moved on. Later pouring into a square tube mold the same problem occurred. I submerged a handful of seashells and floated a little turtle sculpture made out of wood in the middle. He looked great but sure enough the waves developed again. Why is this happening and how do I prevent it?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Matt,

It sounds like you are experiencing ‘silvering’. This comes from air releasing from the object but trapped next to it by the resin. You will need to seal your objects before including them in resin. We have an article on how to do that here: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/how-to-seal-papers-or-findings-for-including-in-resin/

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Air waves develop when I pour large amounts…why?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube