Another Sticky Resin Problem

• This topic has 5 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 10 years ago by Katherine Swift.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Amanda

So I bought some thermally laminated butterfly wings in the hopes of coating them in resin to make them more stiff so I could use them as pendants as well as give them a domed look. I mixed 1 dram each of EasyCast Clear Casting Epoxy resin and hardener and coated the wings, or rather the plastic that the wings were laminated with. They look very nice, but they are tacky and when I tested them with my toothpick and fingernail, the indents stayed.

My question is, is there any way I can get this resin off of the laminated butterfly wing? Could I put them in the freezer and then peel the resin off?
      Or should I apply another thin coat? If I did that would the resin getting indented still be a problem?
      Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is a more pricey supply so I really want to fix these!!
      Katherine Swift

Hi Amanda,

Ive never mixed that small an amount of Easy Cast resin before.  I always mix a minimum of 2 drams each of the resin and hardener.  Im wondering if your resin is sticky because you didnt have enough of each component mixed together to cause enough heat to cure the mix.

As for peeling it off, I suppose it depends on how sticky it is.  If its goopy, probably not.  Ive been able to peel Easy cast off of things when its soft cure (about 12 to 24 hours after pouring), but Im guessing your past that time frame. 

I would try recoating with another layer of resin.  (Mix a little more this time.)  If you coat it thick enough, any minor dents or fingerprints shouldnt show up next time.

Good luck!

Amanda

Yeah that might be the problem, I will try mixing more and coating them again. So my question for that is, will the soft (tacky) resin underneath this new coat still be "dent-able"?

Katherine Swift

Yes, the resin underneath will still be dentable, but if your new coat is thick enough and cures well, it shouldnt matter.

dawn

This was the exact question I had.  So how thick does the new layer need to be?  Mine is not tacky, but it is soft enough to dent.  I would love to be able to fix with a new pour, instead of scrapping it and starting over.

Thanks!
      Katherine Swift

Dawn,

The resin is going to level itself out.  Apply plenty, but the additional layer will probably be 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick once its cured.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Another Sticky Resin Problem’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube