Beads melting in resin

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes through email by Donna:

I am making some 25mm bezel necklaces and wanted to make a birthstone necklace with pieces of beads for the birthstone part. I think the beads are a plastic type bead. I made a necklace but it looked as though the beads either melted in the resin or something. What type of a colored bead piece would work?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Donna,

It is possible your beads melted. When resin and hardener are mixed together, a heat reaction occurs which causes the resin to cure. Sometimes resin can get rather hot! For future castings, I would suggest using glass, metal or gemstone beads. I have used them without any problems.

Good luck!

Ashutosh

Hi Katherine,
      Further to your reply need your advice.
      I too faced similar difficulty as the beads flatened or melted when the beads were submerged under thick layer of resin.Is there any clear transparent resin/liquid plastic material,which will not affect the colour or the characteristics of beads?
      I would like to make 5-6 inch thick clear transparent layer with resin or any other material.Please advice..Thanks

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Since resin heats up in order to cure, you are going to have to use beads that are unaffected by heat. Unfortunately, plastic beads generally won’t work.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Beads melting in resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube