Best Resin for Rocks

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Kim Braley

I’m involved in the Kindness Project, which involves decorating rocks/stones with encouraging or fun things and hiding them for others to find. Rocks can be decorated with transfers, paint, colored pencils, etc. Being that a lot of these are planted/hidden outdoors (and I live in Florida), what would be the best type of resin to cover them with? Resin-covered rocks are especially pretty, but soft resin-covered rocks – not so pleasant!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Kim,

Are these rocks going to be outside?

Kim Braley

Frequently, yes. Rocks are often hidden in parks, trees, parking lots, etc. They may not stay there for a long time, but can also be re-hidden over and over again (although the really nice ones tend to be kept by the finder). I don’t want to coat my rocks in resin that ends up picking up dirt and leaves because it’s sticky with the heat.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Kim,

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

In my opinion, I don’t think resin would be a good choice for a project like this. I can’t tell you for sure that it’s not going to get soft or scuff being outside in the heat. I haven’t done a project like this, but I’m concerned your rocks won’t look good after a few days in direct sunlight.

If the rocks were staying inside, I would use our crystal doming resin: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-crystal-doming-resin. Unfortunately, though, I don’t have any experience using it on rocks outside. (but it gives me the inspiration to try!)

Kim Braley

Thank you! That’s kind of what I was afraid of. I’ll stick to resin only for rocks that are gifted and not planned for being outdoors.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Best Resin for Rocks’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube