Best resin product to seal & strengthen for cuff links

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Gina

I am a total newbie to resin, love this site! I have a bunch of Fordite that I will be shaping and polishing for different jewelry projects. Fordite is layers of dried oversprayed auto paint, more on it here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fordite

For earrings and pendants, it should be fine, but I would like to do some cuff links and maybe a ring and was wondering which type of resin product would have a tough shiny effect? Clear, not sticky, and not prone to cracks or scratches that can’t be buffed or shined somehow is what I am looking for.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

I love Fordite! When I worked with metal I made some neat pieces with it in silver. Awesome that you are working with it in resin!

Before I make a recommendation, you are hoping to buff and polish your castings with power tools and polishing compound?

Gina

You mean the resin casting? I would like to be able to, but as I understand it that would mean using the super smelly stuff? I couldn’t handle that, I have a home studio and am asthmatic- while I have a great respirator mask, I wouldn’t want to wear it all day and night 😬

I envision a thick bezel for the cuff link setting and cutting the fordite to fit more like an inlay than as a cabochon, but I don’t want a super thick resin layer, I want the fordite to be the main star.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Best resin product to seal & strengthen for cuff links’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube