Better resin choice?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katherine Swift

This question comes through email by Sara:

I teach a high school jewelry class in Provo Utah. We have been using Easy Cast Epoxy to fill belt buckle blanks with found objects and it has been working well.  When I have seen belt buckle blanks for sale on line and at farmers markets filled with epoxy they often feel and/or look harder.  Its not that ours arent curing dont get me wrong they are hard (no mush or soft spots) but when I ware one consistently I have noticed that it does scratch and sometimes if you press your thumbnail into it (with conviction) you can see a slight impression.  I have added a coat of spray paint and it smoothes out, but it begs the question is there something better? Will the polyresin set harder and be more durable?  There is a lot of information out there from hobby crafters, I have tried to sift through youtube videos & blogs but there is a lot of info.  Some are saying use boat resin, some are saying fiberglass, I think that I need a professionals opinion.  Any assistance would be great in helping my students further their love for resin crafts.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Sara,

What you’re experiencing with Easy Cast resin I would say is pretty typical.  Even when it cures fully, it is softer than when compared to other resins.  The polyester resin will cure harder, but it’s not a good choice for what you’re doing for two reasons:

1.  The surface exposed to air remains tacky.  That would mean your entire bezel surface would be sticky to the touch.

2.  The smell is horrible.  It’s not something I like to work with without using a NIOSH respirator for fumes.

Since you’re using it with students, an epoxy resin is best.  Two that we sell that I recommend trying are the

Resin Obsession crystal doming resin — good for bezels and coatings: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-crystal-doming-resin
      Resin Obsession super clear resin — good for molds: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-super-clear-resin

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Better resin choice?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube