Bubbles on surface of resin (outwards)

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Dee

Hello, I was having issues with bubbles within my resin (Smooth on 305 and 310) so I just got my first pressure pot. The problem Im having now is that while there are no bubbles throughout my casts I have bubbles on the surface of the cast, poked into the molds. My previous casts(without the pressure pot) didn’t have this problem (Just bubbles throughout the cast itself) so I assume my molds are bubble free. What Im wondering is if the pressure pot is causing this reaction and pushing resin into the mold during casting to create these bubbles or if there were bubbles previously but for some reason the resin stayed out of them when I wasn’t using a pot.

Any help is super appreciated, thanks for reading!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Dee,

A couple of questions:

1. Are you sure you are pressure casting, not vacuum casting?
      2. If you are pressure casting, are you leaving the pressure on the entire cure time?

Dee

Hey Katherine thank you for replying, we are using a pressure pot, we had a leak the first time we did it so what we ended up doing was having the compressor on for the first full hour to keep the pressure up and then let it slowly die off for the last 3. That was out first pressure cast test and we got the bubbles so we figured that method wasn’t going to work. I had some left over 30 minute cure resin so we tried that with the compressor on the full 30 mintues and were hoping that would fix the problems but we still got bubbles So we figured it wasn’t because of the pressure falling off on the 4 hour cast.

Since you asked that question thought im wondering if due to the leak and having to keep the compressor on the whole time its not working like we think and that it might still be causing a problem. We are getting the leak fixed next week but were just hoping to try to find something to hold us over in the meantime.

I hope everything i said there made sense but let me know if I need to clarify anything, my minds a bit of a jumble this morning.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

When you say 30 minute cure resin, is this a polyurethane resin? What are you using to color it?

Dee

As far as I know its just Urethane but it might be poly, it only says urethane on the site I got it from. I’m not using any colors or fillers, just straight resin.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Oh good. I wanted to be sure you weren’t coloring it with something that was causing the bubbles.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Bubbles on surface of resin (outwards)’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube