can i use cocoa powder to tint resin?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Kat Mikell

hellooooo…
      i am about to begin an odyssey in making dolls with resin.. and i am obsessed with the thought of using dark cocoa powder to tint my first one. would this be possible? has anyone tried this? or would it turn to junk?
      or will everyone tell me to just give it a try? X3

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Kat,

What a great idea! What kind/brand of resin are you using?

I have used spices in the past and have been happy with the results.

Kat Mikell

i haven’t even bought what i’m going to use yet (waiting for my birthday month {september}) but i believe i am going to go with either smooth-cast 300, or alumilite amazing casting resin in white. i want to go for a nice milk-chocolate colour, and i have hershey’s dark cocoa powder in my house.. but i may buy regular cocoa for the tinting.
      with your spice-tinted resin, did the spices leave a scent? (this is why i am obsessed with the thought of using cocoa! i want my doll to smell slightly of chocolate. XD)

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Sadly, cocoa powder is not going to work on either one of those. They are both polyurethane resins which are very fussy about what you can add into them and still have them cure properly. To get a cocoa type color, I would suggest one of these Alumilite dyes which are designed for polyurethane resin. https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/colorants/products/alumilite-doll-skin-tone-liquid-pigment-dye

Kat Mikell

aw. oh well, thanks for telling me anyway, so i don’t have a bunch of ruined resin on my hands! 😀

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

It’s definitely worth a try for epoxy resins, but polyurethanes, not so much. 🙁

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The topic ‘can i use cocoa powder to tint resin?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube