Casting a resin tabletop with an ‘iceberg’

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Rick:

I would like to cast a table top using Resin but would like it to look like ice internally. I have a display base that was cast around a piece of teak wood that has this effect inside the casting and I can send a photo for you to analyze.

resin and wood table

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Rick,

This one is tough. It’s not my area of expertise, but I will share with you what I know.

Polyester resin will create the ‘cracked’ appearance if it heats up too quickly. The easy way to make it do that is to add more hardener than in recommended. The problem with using polyester resin for this project is that it shrinks enough after cooling that it will likely pull away from the wood.

Polyurethane resin is likely what someone used, but I don’t know how they created the ‘cracked’ look.

I wish I could be of more help. I will see if I can get a resin and woodworker to chime in.

Rick

Many thanks! Hopefully someone reading this blog post will respond!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

I asked one of my woodworking contacts to share his thoughts. Here’s what he had to say:

“I think you hit on it with the catalyst .. using too much can lead to cracking
      and pouring too much at once can do the same thing.

As for the shrinkage.. the nice thing about polyester resins is that they
      will bond to a previous layer. So if you pour thick, let it crack and then
      pour again with a thin layer, you can get a smooth outer shell with no
      cracks over the cracked interior. The thinner you pour, the less shrink
      you get, so it should fill in quite nicely, I think. And the top layer should
      bond well to the interior without showing any lines. Then you can polish
      out the surface with compounds or micro-mesh.
      Should look pretty cool!”

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Casting a resin tabletop with an ‘iceberg’’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube