Casting with glow in the dark pigment

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Natalie

I wondered if I could call upon some experience.
      I have been dealing with all sorts of resin for a while now, mainly model making and home-ware castings on a small scale but after a recent commission I have hit a bit of a block.

Basically, I was commissioned to do some 3D tree castings which turned out great. I used two part resin which cures white to allow the recipient to spray them whatever colour they chose afterwards.
      The problem I have is that now they want several ones that glow in the dark and are gold. The glow in the dark element works fine until I spray them or add colour into the resin mix.
      I have gone through lots of trial and error so far; Adding gold colouring either seems to sink to the bottom or come out a very dull creamy colour or mask the glow in the dark pigment completely. Spraying them gold after casting in layers just covers the glow.
      The only way that I’ve kind of got it to work is by adding a coat of clear resin mixed with the glow in the dark pigment over the gold sprayed piece. However because of the nature of the pigment it leaves a grainy yellowed look to it.

Any tips or suggestions of materials would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

It sounds like you need a glow in the dark paint for your project. Have you tried that?

Natalie

Hi Katherine,

Thanks for your response, i didn’t even think of that! it sounds so simple now you’ve said it. Thanks for the tip, it’s definitely something i haven’t tried yet and it could work in either showing up once sprayed gold or as a semi transparent paint over a gold coloured cast.
      I don’t think I wouldn’t even begin to know where to source gold glow in the dark paint from however. What they really wanted was something that was gold in the day and under normal light and then had a blue glow in the dark/under black light if that makes sense? I’d be happy to try anything if i could get this combination.

Thanks for your help so far.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Natalie, I do know the glow in the dark powders we sell will mix with paint. Unfortunately, we don’t have one that is gold colored. To further that, if you were going to mix the powder with paint to apply, resin might be as easy. Hmm.

Natalie

Hi Katherine,

Thanks, i’ve looked at these on your site, the blue, mixed with a gold pigment might be what i need. It’s a shame you don’t have a UK based supplier as the shipping wouldn’t really be cost efficient.
      Thanks for your quick help and response back. If i manage to get anything working i’ll post the results.

Lars

Hi,
      I would like to bring up this topic again, because i recently tried glow in the dark powder in my
      casts as well. My problem is, that the pigments settle on the bottom of the mold and don´t stay mixed
      in the resin.
      Is there any chance to keep the pigments floating or is the only chance to get a decent glow in the dark effect
      by casting a thin layer (as in your switchplate tutorial)

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

How much glow pigment to how much mixed resin (approximate ratio) are you using?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Casting with glow in the dark pigment’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube