clear coating resin earrings

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      alex

Hi Guys,

I have been making earrings out of resin and got very good results. However, i have to use a file at the corners to make it look neater. I also had a couple of pairs that i painted with a clear lacquer/clear coat on it which makes them look even better and hide the sanded edges. Over the past weeks though i have seen cracks appear in the coating layer which is a little irritating. Sometimes i can even scratch it off. Is there a way how i can add a layer of clear coat onto the earrings without it cracking?
      any help is greatly appreciated!!! 🙂

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

What are you using for your clear coat?

Alex

hi Katherine,
        I am using ‘Marabu Gloss varnish’. I live in Germany

Katherine Swift
          Keymaster

Hi Alex,

I’m afraid I’m not familiar with that product, but in general, I haven’t found varnishes work very well. The chip and break like what you are describing.

Have you tried coating with another layer of resin?

Alex

Hi Katherine,

thank you for your message. Ok, that is good to know that you had experienced the same. In terms of coating them again with resin – how would you do that when I have already taken the earring out of the mold? How would I best get rid of the sanded edges?

Katherine Swift
              Keymaster

If you finish with a sandpaper grit of 1000 or higher, you shouldn’t see the edges if you apply a new layer of resin.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘clear coating resin earrings’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube