Clear plastic visible within resin?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      James

Hello, so I have a cube mold I want to fill with epoxy and put strips of plastic in vertically. The plastic I have to work with are 2mm thick clear sheets with peelable protective film on both sides.

I’ve already cut the sheets and I want to know if they will be visible in the epoxy. I’m thinking no since both are very clear and transparent but maybe they will still make visible lines on the ceiling when put over a light base which is what I ultimately want to do with it. I’m also wondering if I could paint the sheets or layer them in dyed epoxy to make them show up in the clear epoxy. What about keeping the sheets the way they are and dying the epoxy around them, would they be visible then?

Thanks.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi James,

I would expect you could see faint lines when you put the plastic in your mold. If you want to test first, put your plastic in a container of water. Whatever you see will be similar to what you see in resin.

I’m not sure what you mean by coloring the epoxy around your sheets. Can you tell me more?

James

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I tested it with water and it was surprisingly visible! Thanks for the idea. And what I meant by that was just to use dyed epoxy with the clear plastic sheets.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi James, I’m glad to hear you can see them as you hoped!

Your next experiment would be to try adding the sheets to colored water. (use food coloring)

Whatever you see is what I would expect if you colored the resin with a transparent color, then added the sheets.

P.S. We have transparent colors for resin in our store here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/colorants/transparent

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Clear plastic visible within resin?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube