Clear resin for deep molds

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Nicole:

Hi I’m looking to use a deep mold aproximately 6 – 7 inches deep and about 1 inch wide that I will be embedding different items into. I’d like it to be crystal clear, scratch resistant and durable, something not easily broken. What’s your best recommendation for type of resin?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Nicole,

There’s a bit of a dilemma with your project. In order to get a resin that is durable and scratch resistant, it’s going to cure hard. This means it will break when dropped.

Since you are embedding items into this casting, it sounds like you will be doing multiple pours. In that case, I suggest the Resin Obsession super clear resin. You can buy it in several sizes in our store here:
      https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-super-clear-resin Here’s an FAQ on the resin as well:
      https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/resin-obsession-super-clear-resin-faq This resin cures as hard as glass. It will be scratch resistant but can break if dropped on a hard surface.

Nicole

Thanks so much! I have another question about the pouring and embedding. Do I have to let the resin cure for a short time prior to adding more items to embed and if so how long would you recommend between each pour/embed, if I used that specific resin. And would this cause cracking? Thanks for your help!

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Yes, let your resin get to the gel stage before adding the next layer. You can wait until the resin fully cures before adding another layer if that’s easier, but you may see lines between your casting layers.

As long as you mix no more than three ounces at once (the maximum recommended mixing amount for the super clear resin) you shouldn’t see any cracking.

Nicole

Awesome! This helps so much! Thank you!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Clear resin for deep molds’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube