Clearcast Resin not curing

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Misty:

I am using a clearcast resin that is mixed 1:1, the kind that does not smell and am having challenges. I am making a cross and did three layers.My last layer in the cross that I made will not cure and I am not sure why. For this layer I used a small amount of powdered metal (black iron oxide) and a small amount of pearl ex powder which I did not expect to be a problem and a dab of black acrylic paint. I added a small bit more of hardener to compensate for these additions in the beginning of mixing. This layer has not at this point hardened and it has been going on 36 hours. It remains tacky and now has started to creep down the side of the piece. Is this due to the additions of the powdered metal and the pearl ex powder? I added pearl ex to the first and second layers with really no problem. I noticed that this product seems to take longer to begin to cure compared to a previous clear casting resin I have used in the past (that smells horrible which is why I decided to switch to the other product that does not smell). Is it something I am not doing right, or does this product just take a lot longer to even begin to cure. Also, after pouring the third layer on the cross, it was later in the day and the temperature dropped to below 70. The temperature didn’t get warmer until the next day in the afternoon and then dropped again towards evening and throughout the evening. Could this be the problem? I look forward to hearing back from you soon. Thank you for your help.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Misty,

There could be a few things going on here. First and foremost, you need to be sure you measure accurately and mix thoroughly. You also need to mix the appropriate minimum (based upon the resin you are using) to make sure enough heat is generated to induce curing. I don’t know how thin your resin layers are, but thin layers can also be a bigger challenge to cure since the heat is spread out over a large area.

Assuming all the above things were done correctly, my next suspicion is that the acrylic paint kept the resin from curing. Resin hates moisture! The powdered metal and Pearl Ex are not likely the problem as they are dry powders.

Every resin is different in its cure times, mixing minimums, etc., so it wouldn’t be a bad idea either to make sure you have all the basics covered.

We have some other troubleshooting articles as well that may give you some other ideas on what to do differently: https://www.resinobsession.com/tag/troubleshooting

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Clearcast Resin not curing’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube