Coating tabletop

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Cassandra Gelvin

I have a wood coffee table that I’m trying to cover in epoxy resin to protect it (my young kids eat there, and I want to make it easier to clean). I’m using Famowood Glaze Coat, and since the table has a lower shelf, I’m starting with the lower shelf instead of the main one (although they’re about the same size- about 12 square feet). I cleaned it with alcohol and put two thin layers on to seal the wood (I think I may not have used enough total yet, since it’s a bit patchy, but I’m okay with that as a base coat).

My question is: According to the calculator on this site and the back of the box, I’m going to need at least a quart to do the main pour. Do I need to go buy a separate container to mix that in? I’ve been using disposable bowls that I already had, but they hold about a cup each if I’m leaving enough room to stir. If I need to take 6+6 (12) minutes to stir it before pouring, and I’m not supposed to let it sit after mixing it, will it work if I pour, mix, pour, mix, until I have enough? Or do I need to mix the whole batch at once? Basically, how big is the window where I can add to the same coat?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

You need to mix the entire batch at once to make sure it evenly levels across your table.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Coating tabletop’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube