Covering paper with resin

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Mila:

I am an artist.I would like to cover some drawings with your resin and I am wandering if the paper beneath will be protected from becoming yellow eventually. Also what about breaking ?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Mila,

Thanks for taking the time to share your question. Resin will not do anything to protect paper from UV light damage. In fact, all resins themselves will yellow with time. Resins with UV inhibitors and stabilizers help extend the time before yellowing occurs. However, things such as mixing off ratio (even though it still can cure without tackiness), putting over an improperly cured lacquer, excessive heat, and or constant exposure to sunlight can speed up the yellowing process. How long the epoxy will last in its clear state is very difficult to predict.

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘breaking’, but you will need to make sure your paper has been sealed, otherwise, it will take up moisture stains from the resin. A clear drying, white glue works well as does a couple of light layers of resin gloss sealer spray. You can find it in our shop here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/castin-craft-gloss-resin-sealer-spray

Mila

Hi Katherine,
        thanks for you reply.
        I need to cover my drawings with thick plexiglass on front and on the back, because a large format is in question is normal to be afraid of breaking .. My works are on a semi-transparent tracing paper.and some are 2,5 m high.Maybe it is more clear if you see the picture
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2qKsAo2obk&feature=share
        thank you
        Mila

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Mila,

Thanks for sharing the video. Unfortunately, I don’t know that resin is the best choice here. Perhaps a framing shop can help you? I know there are glass options to help protect artwork from UV light exposure. Maybe there is a plexiglass option as well?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Covering paper with resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube