Creating a 3D resin shape with etching inside

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Viviana

Hi all,
      I’m trying to create an effect where there is an etched silhouette in the center of a 3D epoxy resin cast, like this:
      https://serenesforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/warriors-dragonstone-crystal.jpg

I am not sure how to achieve this look. I considered making the two halves separately and laser etching one half and somehow sticking the two halves together, but I don’t believe epoxy resin can/should be laser etched. (Also, not sure how I would stick the halves together). Perhaps create a separate casting of the silhouette shape and float it in the 3D cast? Please let me know if you guys have any ideas 🙂

Viviana

A follow-up question:

If I pour epoxy resin into a mold half way, let it cure, and finish the pour later to fill the mold, will the seam line be visible in the final product? Thanks!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Yes, I would create a casting of the skull, then cast it in the 3D gem. I have never tried etching resin, but I worry it may melt.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Creating a 3D resin shape with etching inside’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube