Creating a burning ember effect

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Phil:

I have been trying for some time, without success, to create a burning ember effect (which will then be cast into clear resin) similar to this image: https://goo.gl/images/GFlm2m
      Any guidance you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Phil,

A couple of questions:

Is there a light in the center that is creating the glowing effect or were you hoping to recreate that strictly with resin?

So that I’m clear, you wanted to recreate this look, then recast this entire ‘look’ into resin?

Phil

Hi Katherine,
      The objective is to create the look of a burning ember that has been cast into a clear resin block. Lights could be used to enhance the effect. eg. it works as a standalone piece on a shelf, a light at night would enhance the effect.
      Cheers
      Phil

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster
      Phil

Yes, but its the technique that I am trying to understand.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

How big are these pieces you are trying to create? I have an idea if this is a small scale project.

Phil

Hi Katherine, reasonably large per the photo. I would like to increase the size once I have mastered the technique
      Cheers
      Phil

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Phil,

The colors look like alcohol ink colors to me. Are these light globes? i.e. they are hollow in the center?

Phil

They certainly are lit, perhaps internally. I’m keen to understand how to swirl multiple colours without actually mixing them.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

If I were working with a flat surface, here’s how I would do it.

I would work with alcohol inks. They give the transparent ‘globs’ like what you see here. I would start with my bottom colors, allow to dry, then apply the next layer. It looks like some watercolor painting technique that I’m sure a painter could comment on. The tough part is I don’t know how you can do this with wet resin. You won’t be able to control the globs and you wouldn’t be able to layer the colors in wet resin without them mixing. Assuming you could do this, doing it on a curved surface is even more difficult.

You have stumped me Phil!!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Creating a burning ember effect’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube