Dealing with sticky resin

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katherine Swift

This question comes through email by Sara:

1. I am having trouble getting resin to cure at the very bottom of a domed mold? I do it in layers and make a small layer then a second layer with glitter. I wait 2 to 3 days sometimes to make sure it cured but still the very bottom wont cure. And it is usually a thin layer.
      2. How do you remove uncured resin that failed from a mold? Its thicker and stickier then honey and I am not sure where to begin.
      Thank you!

Katherine Swift

Sara,

Dealing with sticky resin is torture isn’t it?!  Heres a few things I immediately think of:

1.  Did you mix your resin properly in the right ratio? (not all resins mix the same)?
      2.  Was your mold surface dry?
      3.  Did you mix your resin thoroughly?  We have a video on our youtube channel on how to mix resin:
      https://youtu.be/G5tzNIEdEtE
      4.  Did you include anything in your resin?  (pigments, inclusions, etc.)  Were they completely dry or were they designed for resin?  (some of them can attract water)

As for getting sticky resin out of a mold, is is a plastic or silicone mold? If its silicone, Im afraid its probably beyond hope.  If its plastic, you can try to scoop out with your fingers as much as you can (wear nitrile gloves) and/or use soft object that wont scratch your mold.  Then, you can try some industrial strength acetone (available at most hardware stores).  Soak, and wipe out with a cloth.  (Don’t forget to wear the gloves for this too.)

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Dealing with sticky resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube