deep pour resin turning silicone molds white

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Lynda

Is it common for deep pour resin to turn silicone molds white and the centers of the molds to raise? This seems to be happening within a few pours.

• #194168 Reply
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Lynda,

Unfortunately, this can happen with any resin.

It sounds like it’s getting hot. Do you think that’s going on?

• #194196 Reply
      Lynda

Just the heat of the normal curing process. One mold this has happened on is a figet spinner. I put “extra” deep pour resin in it. Normally I use 7050 clear thin-cast. Do you think it had more heat because the mold wasn’t thick? I also had this happen to a clock, so also a thin mold. And to some smaller but deep animal molds.

• #194212 Reply
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hmm. Kinda weird.

How much resin did you mix at once?

• #194213 Reply
      Lynda

150 ml. This is the deep pour for tables 1 1/2 gallon. That IS the same as the smaller 3/4 gallon bottle of deep pour, isn’t it?

• #194322 Reply
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Yes, they’re both the same kind.

Are your castings turning out as expected with these molds?

What are you using to clean your molds?

• #194391 Reply
      Lynda

I have just been using alcohol up until now. I read on your site earlier this week to wash them with soapy water and treat them with the release. I hadn’t been using it because (I now know) I was using it wrong and would end up with white spots. I will definitely treat the molds with the “perfume method” from now on.

• #194513 Reply
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

I did a google search and saw where a silicone manufacturer recommended putting the mold in the freezer to see if the white film would freeze (and pop off). If you give that a try, will you let me us know if it works?

Viewing 7 reply threads
Reply To: deep pour resin turning silicone molds white
Your information:

Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube