Do essential oils break down resin?

Resin jewelry making resin art supplies Forums Resin Techniques Do essential oils break down resin?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Selena 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

This question comes from Stacy:

Looking for opinions on resin pendants with a slit/hole and putting a felt pad in it with essential oils on it to have a diffuser neckless. Would the essential oils brake down the resin?

• #9914 Reply

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

Hi Stacy,

Great question! I would expect them to be impermeable right away, but I don’t know long term. Let me see if I can poll my panel of experts for help.

• #9942 Reply

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

Hi Stacy,

Both the chemists I spoke with have not tested using essential oils in resin, but expect that it should not permeate a cured resin surface.

• #9965 Reply

Rhonda J Hunter

I have earrings made like this from Avon, many years old, mostly resin, and they are still like new. (can’t get the little diffuser pads any more):(

• #34179 Reply

Mary

I have tried to use the essential oils with the resin, and it makes the resin very stick, and does not harden correctly. I’m thinking on trying to use a blank piece of air freshener paper on the back of the item, to see how that works. I guess I’ll try and use an adhesive to adhere the card to the resin. What do you think?

• #82391 Reply

Selena

This is to Mary, if you use oils in UV resin, and it comes out sticky with the oils, cure it both with a UV light AND the sunlight. Do one for 5 then the other for 5, this should help with stickiness.

Reply To: Do essential oils break down resin?
Your information: