Encasing a clay object in resin

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift

This question comes through email by Laura:

I dont know where best to post this, but I have never worked with resin before, and the project I have is a simple one but Id like to know what would work best for this.

I have a small container, and I have a clay creation that I put inside, I thought I would use resin to fill in around it.
      My first thought was what kind of resin would be best?  From trying to research Ive found from what Ive read that Ice Resin is what to use.
      My next thought is that can I pour the resin over my creation, or do I need to add it after?

Id love to know what advice or anything to look out for in this from someone experience with using resin.
      The only issue I know to watch for is air bubbles and making sure to mix the resin properly, is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thank you very much for any advice!

Katherine Swift

Hi Laura,

Here are a few of my thoughts:

I dont have much experience with clay and resin.  I dont know if it will take up a water stain when coming in contact with the resin.  I would suggest either trying a test piece, or coating the clay with a couple layers of clear drying glue or our resin gloss sealer spray.  https://www.resinobsession.com/ItemPage/5510/CastinCraft-Gloss-Resin-Sealer-Spray-760-UPS-Ground-Shipping.html

Without seeing your piece, I dont know if you need to worry about trapping bubbles or not.  If its solid, you will probably be okay.  If it looks something like a piece of coral, I would suggest dipping it in resin and allowing it to dry on a piece of wax paper first.  It will seal the bubbles in (or out), as these bubbles can pop up later in your next casting.  (Once the resin cures, you can peel it off the wax paper.)

When your pour your resin into your reservoir (mold, box, etc.), I would suggest pouring in a bit of resin, dipping your clay piece into your cup of resin, then placing it in with the resin you poured.  You can then fill container as desired.  Dipping the piece in resin first will help to break the surface tension and make it less likely you will create bubbles.  Know, too, that your piece will sink.  If you want to piece to appear like its floating, you will need to pour your casting in layers.  You can see how I did it in this tutorial with buttons in a bangle bracelet.  https://www.resinobsession.com/Resin-Tutorials/286/Button-Bangle-Resin-Bracelet-tutorial.html

As for the resin I would recommend, I would suggest the Resin Obsession super clear epoxy resin.  https://www.resinobsession.com/ItemPage/5503/ResinObsession-SuperClear-Resin-6-oz—jewelry-quality-resin.html  It mixes crystal clear and is specifically designed for molds.  It mixes in a thinner viscosity than Ice Resin, which makes problems with bubbles a lot less likely.

Since you are a beginner, I would also recommend this article on our blog:  https://www.resinobsession.com/Resin-FAQ/283/Resin-Troubleshooting-Tips.html

Good luck!

Rhonda

I found out the hard way – seal-seal-seal! – the clay! preferably not with resin, but with a quick drying type formulated to work with resin.  My clay piece wasnt completely dry the first time and I used resin to seal it – resin didnt cure around the clay, and  there was a hazey cloudy area.  I tried again, this time making sure the clay was dry. Again, dipped it in resin,  but this time there were bubbles coming up from the top of the clay item.  

I took these items to a friend who is "crafty", and she asked me if I was using plaster.  She was surprised to hear they were both clay.  She recommended a spray sealer, but I told her I had the sealer I bought on Resin Obsession, and she said "well, why didnt you use it? At least one of these would have been good!"  (my fault, bad memory)
      By the way, my order came today and was I surprised! I ordered the stir stix seconds, and not one of them looked bad! All looked A-#1 quality! Also, got the large plastic mixing cups and was impressed. I had bought some medical grade graduated cups and couldnt use them because the numbers were raised and on the inside, so unmixed resin was collecting there and couldnt be removed.  More wasted money!  Thank you, Katherine for having first rate products and service!
      Ronnyj Hunter
      Johnno

Can a polyurethane coat be used to seal the clay prior to casting.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Encasing a clay object in resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube