Encasing ashes in a bezel with resin

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Lynn:

Hi, I am doing large bezel to encase ashes, which resin would you suggest? I want it hard and able to polish, is polyester the best option? I
      already use ice resin and Durenamel resin, which can be sanded and polished…

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Lynn,

Are you using a backless bezel? May I ask why you want to be able to polish it? I’m trying to fully understand the situation before I make a recommendation.

Lynn Fagerstrom

Thanks for the reply.
        I am a silver smith, I am creating a piece for a friend,. I will be fabricating the bezel, Probably no back, as I will be adding it to a ring. I want a high polish because I will be adding something in the resin with the ashes and want it to be super transparent, but also my friend is a pet groomer and will be wearing it constantly. I need a super durable hard resin… I work with resin frequently in my studio, so although not an expert, I am not a novice.
        Thanks again!
        Lynn

Katherine Swift
          Keymaster

Got it. The extra information is helpful.

Since you are working with small quantities and in a bezel, an epoxy will be best. While you can polish polyester to a high gloss, I would not use it here because it doesn’t self-level and because you are mixing a small amount.

If you use a doming resin, the front of your bezel with finish with a glossy dome. No sanding or polishing required. You are correct, however, in that the surface of the bezel that touches the tape will have a frosty appearance. Once the resin has cured, peel away your bezel. Use wet/dry sandpaper to sand down the back to make it smooth again. Start with a 200, then finish with a 1000 grit or higher. To get that side shiny, dome another layer of resin on that side. I used this technique when I made my own open bezels in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WblAP-B6vPw&t=1s

As for doming resins, we have a few in our store to help you get started: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/doming Of all of these, the Alumilite Amazing Clear cast epoxy is what I like best.

Lynn Fagerstrom

Thanks Katherine, I will be soldering the bezel to the ring prior to pouring the resin, so the back side is irrelevant. I do need something that won’t dent or get scratched easily through daily wear.
            Thanks

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Encasing ashes in a bezel with resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube