Fluff

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      kelly

Hi I am new to resin making and my problem is that I cover the things i am making but no matter what I do I get a lot of wastage on my pendants because they get fluff or hair on the surface, is there any way to prevent or salvage things when this happens

thank you
      Kelly
      Katherine Swift

Kelly,

Just a few thoughts as to what could be going on.

1.  It sounds like its dirty where youre working?  (Like dust, cat hair, etc.)  Are you working in an outdoor area?  Can you move your workspace to a different area?

2.  Are you checking your pieces for dust before leaving them to cure?  I like to use a LED light and a toothpick to go over the top of pieces looking for hair.

3.  Is your container you use to cover them clean and solid?  (not like a wicker basket or something)

To fix your pieces, you can try sanding the tops down.  Finish with a 1000 grit (or finer) sandpaper.  Repour your resin on top.  Should look seamless!

kelly

thank you some good ideas!

Ashlie

Here are some things I do when making resin jewelry:

Before I even start, I dampen a paper towel and wipe down the surface Ill be working on.  The moisture picks up any dust I might not be able to see.

I also dust off anything Im going to use – the covers, the molds, the bottles, etc.

I found that working in a place without a fan helps.  The fan collects dusts and swirls it around the room.

I do have a curious little kitty, so cat hair is always an issue for me.

I have a desk spot light attached to my work table for this issue, and a supply of toothpicks.

After I lay down a layer of resin, I turn on the spot light and carefully scrutinize my pieces from several different angles.  If I see anything – dust, cat hair, some little speck of whatever, I use the toothpick to carefully pry it out.  The toothpick is low profile so it doesnt leave a mark or cause air bubbles.  Sometimes it may cause a peak in the surface, but that will settle back down.

I then cover my pieces and leave then to cure for several hours, then I come back and recheck them.  The surface will still be tacky enough that if you notice anything on the surface you can gently remove it with a toothpick.

I do this with each layer.  It takes time, and you have to develop a good eye to catch little unintentional inclusions, but the flawless finished piece makes it worth the effort.

Hope that helps!  🙂

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Fluff’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube