getting an even coat on rounded objects

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      laura

Is there a trick to this? I coated a bowl recently and had a lot of trouble getting a nice even coat. I had lots of drip lines on the bowl that were difficult to sand off. The inside of the bowl was also much thicker on the bottom than the sides (due to the resin coming off the sides and collecting in the bowl). I have another bowl I would like to finish with resin and am hoping to do a better job.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Laura,

Unfortunately, that is the nature of resin. Next time, I would suggest doing this in two pours — inside and outside at separate times. You are then going to have to find a way to either keep the bowl slowly rotating during the process and a couple of hours into the cure time, to make a point to rotate the bowl a quarter turn or so approximately every 15 minutes.

Ron Leming

You know, I just received, in my monthly orders, a can of Castin Craft resin spray. Seems to me that might, possibly, be a solution to the problem. Like, several thin coats of the spray instead of brushing or pouring. That was my thought when I ordered it anyway.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘getting an even coat on rounded objects’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube