Getting bubbles out of cured resin trays

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift

This question comes through email by Barri:

Hi,  I?ve watched several of your videos and they are informational.  I wish I had found them before I made my projects because I didn?t seal my paper first and some of them have discolored.   I have a problem.  I have made several wooden trays that I?ve adhered bourbon labels and then put a two part epoxy over.  I thought I had all the bubbles out however when they dried two of the trays had a few bubbles.  Do you know of a way to remove the bubbles?  I didn?t know if I could cut them out and put another layer of the epoxy over it if it would fill in and cover or if it would show up more.  I appreciate any help you can give me.

Katherine Swift

Hi Barri,

I’m sorry to say you are in a tough spot.  My first suggestion is to sand off the bubbles if they are on the surface of your resin casting.  Start with a coarse grit paper and work down to a 1000 grit or higher.  To get a shiny finish, you can recoat with another layer of resin or a layer of our resin gloss sealer spray.  https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/castin-craft-gloss-resin-sealer-spray

If the bubbles are big and deep, you can try drilling them (although I have never had much luck with this).  You will need to use a drill bit the same size of your bubble or larger.  Drill straight down, then refill with resin.  I can never do this without a seam showing at the end.  Perhaps someone else will comment to this technique as well.

Good luck!

Jimmy

Big bubble under cured epoxy,, how do I get it out

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Jimmy,

You can try the technique shown in this article: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-resin-resin/how-to-fix-bubbles-in-resin

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Getting bubbles out of cured resin trays’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube