Getting rid of bubbles in my finished casting

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift

This question comes through email by Katie:

Can you please tell me how to get rid of these bubbles that appear whenever I try and sand my resin rings? The bubbles werent there before I started to sand!! 🙁 Im using wet and dry sandpaper and doing everything you do in YouTube videos, its soo frustrating haha!
      I would appreciate you helping me please

Katherine Swift

Katie,

While you may not have seen the bubbles after you poured your resin, they were there while it is curing.  Unless you’re creating extreme heat to sand your pieces (an industrial belt sander or something similar), they were there all along.

I have also had this happen with some of my castings.  I don’t know the exact physics of this, but there is enough surface tension (or something like it) to get the bubbles to cling to the edge of your casting rather than rising to the top.  (see how all your bubbles are along the edge?)

The best way to fix this in the future is to make sure you mix your resin in such a way as to get as few as bubbles as possible in your casting. 

Since your resin is colored, it may be difficult to see the bubbles.  I like to use a very bright LED nightlight to shine like a spotlight over my castings after I have poured.  It has helped me a lot to find bubbles that I didn’t see before. 

As for saving the project you have here, you have two options:

1.  Continue to sand until all the bubbles are gone.
      2.  Try to repour resin into the holes the bubbles have created.  This way is a bit more tricky as it is almost impossible (for me anyway) to recreate the same color in resin from one batch to the next.  Your project appears to be dark, so just dabbing in a bit of clear may work just fine for you.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Getting rid of bubbles in my finished casting’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube