Heat Separation of Resin Layers

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Julieanne

Had an unfortunate resin experience lately, trying to get to a solution: several hundred botanical resin necklaces in my jewelry display cases were momentarily in the sun (it’s California summer here so even a few minutes in 100+ degrees Fahrenheit can skyrocket the internal temp like a convection oven), I opened my cases immediately and blocked the sun but experienced bubbling and subsequent cracking within the necklaces between the layers of resin. Each piece has 3-4 layers.

I’m trying to figure out if this was caused by a chemical heat reaction of one of the following and how to prevent it in the future: either there were bubbles hiding between the tumbled gemstones or botanical elements I used, or the mod podge reacted to the heat, or the resin itself started to react. I can’t figure out how to post images to show you what happened, but I used resin obsessions resin, leaves were fully dried and double sealed with mod podge. Several of these necklaces were over a year old with no issues until this point, so I’m at a loss I’d how to fix this to prevent future loss of merch! Thanks in advance for all your time, help, and wisdom!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Julieanne,

I’m sorry this happened to you. Were your necklaces in bezels or did you make them with molds?

Julieanne

Both, I have them in sterling filled bezels as well as solid resin pieces from silicone molds. Similar issues are occurring in both.

Katherine Swift
          Keymaster

Hi Julieanne,

I’m sorry this happened to you. I had something similar happen when I was photographing resin jewelry made in bezels. I went outside and after about 10 minutes of them being in the sun, the resin started to bubble! It sounds like something similar happened to you. Basically, something is conducting heat through your resin jewelry and causing it to heat up. You are probably right in that any air bubbles trapped in the piece are contributing to the separation.

Did they look more normal after cooling off?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Heat Separation of Resin Layers’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube