Help A WATCHMAKER

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Alex

hi, I am a watchmaker and i convert old vintage watches to work with new quarts movements. in a round case there is a ring that holds movement in place it is called spacer and it has in middle shape of movement and it fits in perfect. how can i make similar ring, something that will hold movement still. i have pictures for further explanation. i was thinking about resin casting but watch cases are metal and will be very hard to extract mold from out of it. please help

Rhonda J. Hunter

If you have a spacer the correct size, you need a mold of the spacer. I would get mold putty and press the spacer into it, removing it carefully so the mold doesn’t deform. When the mold is cured, it will need mold release applied and blotted off according to the directions before pouring the small amount of resin needed. I would carefully drip the resin into the mold with a toothpick or a pipette, making sure the resin gets into all the little creases and releasing bubbles.
      When the resin is cured, bend the edges of the mold away from the resin to loosen it. It might help to drip some soapy water on the resin to help it release from the mold.
      I have probably missed a step or two, which hopefully someone will pick up on and correct me. I have had problems with those little spacers breaking easily.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Help A WATCHMAKER’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube