Help with resin finish on 3 piece table

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Tracy

Hi, I have a very old ugly Formica table. I really want to do a pour on it (very much like art pour #71), I have practiced, I’ve poured before, can do the pattern, but no matter what I try taping sanding, light top coat, I can not get the edges clean. My table is in 3 pieces, the two ends and a removable leaf. So I can either have the ends together for every day or it all together when my (adult) kids come home. Because it’s a table I don’t want valleys or mountains at the joints making that part unusable, I can’t pour it together because I can’t seporate them, and I need to. Please help.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by ‘cannot get the edges clean’. Can you link to a picture?

Tracy Bourdon-Thomas

Sorry, I mean square edges (clean), so when I either put the two ends of the table together, or fit the center piece in to extend the table it’s all flush like a solid table without the mountains and valleys at the seams. I have no clue how to link a picture. I haven’t yet poured the table as I am too worried about the seams. The outside edges I’m okay with, it’s the center seams where the different parts of the top meet.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Tracy,

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.

All three sections of the table the same size? That will help me best with the next set of advice.

Tracy

Hi,
      The two ends are the same size as each other, they are rounded on the outside ends to make an oval, the insert is a rectangle that when inserted elongates the oval. All are the same width. So it goes from seating 4 to seating 6-8.
      I have a trim to do around the outside edges (so around the rounded ends and sides). Its where the pieces meet I’m having trouble with, to make a flat surface, so I can put plates on it and not worry about them not tipping because they are on a seam. I really hope this is making sense. I wish I knew how to send you a picture, lol. I appreciate your help.

Tracy

I have been trying to think of a better description.
      Think of a 10 feet by 4 foot piece of wood, with cuts at 4 foot in from both ends, leaving the 2 foot part in the scented removable. So can either be 8 feet (without) or 10 feet (with).
      Might not be exact measurements but close, and you get the idea right?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Tracy,

I’m afraid there is no easy way to get the ends of your table even. I hoped they were all three the same size, that way, you could use the same amount of resin on each table section and feel good that they were going to self-level to the same height.

If I were going to take on this project, here’s what I would do:

1. Put all pieces of the table together. Rub Vaseline to the table ends that are up against each other on the inside.
        2. Apply good quality painters tape around the table perimeter and underneath the seams where the tables come together.
        3. Make sure the entire table (all sections) are level and cast the resin.
        4. Once the resin cures, remove the tape and use a jewelers saw to cut between the two tables. The tiny gap between the tables will serve as your guide to keep the saw straight.
        5. Sand up edges as necessary.

Tracy

Thank you! I really apprsiate your help.

Tracy

Thank you so much! I will admit I’m intimidated, but excited. Thank you again.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Help with resin finish on 3 piece table’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube