Hot Pink Large Scale Resin Casting

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Harry

Hi all,
      Fairly new to this in a creative sense, i was a GRP finisher for 3 years so have some experience but this looked like a great place to ask for a hand, I have a couple of projects in mind but for my first I’m looking to cast 3 x resin shelves to be secured to a wall mounted steel frame, the measurements are detailed below.

Length 50″
      Width 15″
      Depth 4″

I am looking to cast them using a hot pink glow in the dark pigment in the style and with the transparency and finish as in the image linked below (I am aware that its lit from the bottom and not glow in the dark)

Link

Cheers.

Tags:
      casting, design, glow in the dark, pink, resin

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Harry, do you have a mold for this project yet?

Harry

Hi, not at the moment but i was going to use an MDF box mould that’s been waxed and then place wax fillets along the edges, that’s about as far as ive got with the mould.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Harry,

Here’s my initial thought. A casting that size is going to be quite heavy. If I were going to attempt this, I would first see if there was tinted acrylic sheet that you could use to create a ‘box’. Maybe even if you got clear sheet and could color (have no idea how), that might be easier than trying to cast. By making a box, you would have an open center that people (hopefully) couldn’t see, but could make the shelf lighter. If acrylic sheet isn’t an option, then you could take the same approach to cast the sides of the box in resin. You could try casting the shelf as once piece, but I would do a little research first on how to hang the shelf on a wall securely.

I am unaware of a fully transparent hot pink resin dye or pigment. Yes, there are hot pink options, but translucent is the best I have seen.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Hot Pink Large Scale Resin Casting’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube