How can I resin a curved surface?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Dawson Klein

I am trying to create geodes I carve out of wood and resin small ecosystems inside of them. However I am running into an issue with the back curve (like an egg). How would one resin a curved surface (as if you were trying to resin one half of the egg only) and keep it as even as possible? Or would I be better off putting it in a square mold and sanding it to shape, at the risk of losing a lot of resin?
      Thank you very much!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Dawson,

Unfortunately, resin doesn’t want to stay on a curved surface. There are speciality resins that mix very thick that will help in this situation, but they still aren’t perfect. If you want to try, you will need to keep your piece moving for several hours after applying the resin to let it even out and ‘move’ instead of dripping off.

You could cast and a mold and sand like you mention above, but that’s a lot of work too.

I’m afraid you don’t have any easy options.

RICHARD CANARY

Aren’t there molds available that have shapes like half-circles, ovals, or maybe even egg-shapes?

Or would several coats of clear nail polish or spray finishes be adequate?

Or if so inclined, you could actually make your own mold from an egg, and make your carving slightly smaller than the mold. Then place some resin into your mold and gently allow your object to sort of float in the resin, which will raise the level of the resin up the sides of the object.

Maybe kind of crazy, but just trying to “think outside the mold” here. 😉

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘How can I resin a curved surface?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube