How do you make white hair visible in resin pendants?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Rebecca

Hello!

I have a horse hair jewelry and keepsake hobby that has turned into a little business for me, and I have been struggling with putting white hair in resin.

For the life of me, I cannot get the hair to show through the resin! I’ve tried a dark background in the bezel, I’ve tried layering resin and hair, and I just cannot get this hair to show through.

Does anyone have any advice or tips on how I can incorporate white hair into my resin pieces? I feel like customers with palomino horses or horses with white hair aren’t ordering because they can’t see the white hair!

Stefano

What about tinting the resin very slightly ?

Rebecca

I haven’t tried tinting the resin yet, but I assume the white hair will take on the same shade as the tint? I’ll have to get some tint dye and see.

As for dyeing the hair, I don’t know how doing that would work either. I would assume that the hair wouldn’t take to dye very well being as sinewy as it is? I just have no idea! Might have to try that too!

Katherine Swift
          Keymaster

I would think your hair salon person could make a recommendation. Perhaps they would even have some samples for you to try??

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Could you dye the hair slightly? Like a smidge of gray or blue to make it show up better?

Rhonda J Hunter

Would it be possible to use a sealer on the hair to keep it from taking up color, and putting it on a dark background?

Miranda

Hi, I saw this post from a while ago, and I wanted to hear if there has come up a solution for the white hair problem? I have the same problem, and I do tint the resin a bit, but that leaves the hairs invisible, and you just get a white pendant. The problem is even worse when you cast hairs with for instance some beige color at the botom, and darker colours at the end (as with some cathairs). The beige doesn’t show up, and you get a pendant with only the dark colour. Thanks for your feedback, and best regards, Miranda

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘How do you make white hair visible in resin pendants?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube