How to properly use Dice Molds?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Tracy

I purchased the dice molds from this store a while back and have had nothing but trouble from them. I’ve made 7 sets of dice so far and have not gotten a single usable cast from them.

The molds are extremely difficult to fill since the pour spouts are extremely small, even when using a toothpick to guide the resin in. It’s not uncommon for a mold to look fully filled, only for it to come out of the pressure pot 12 hours later half empty. Even when the mold is fully filled, almost 2/3rds of my dice will have a void at the pour point, making them completely unusable. While I can potentially attempt to re-mix the same colors of resin and fill the voids left behind, it would be nice if there was a way I could fill the dice in only 1 go.

And even when I get a fully formed die, since the pour point is at the tip instead of on a face, the tip has to be completely reconstructed manually through sanding.

Is there anyone who has been able to successfully create a set of dice from these molds, and do it consistently? If so, how? The video provided by ResinObsession is very basic and does not cover anything beyond basic casting.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Tracy,

I’m sorry to hear the dice molds aren’t working well for you. It sounds like you are very frustrated.

Since you are using a pressure pot and the molds are only filling halfway, it sounds like you may not be using enough resin.

The other thing that may be complicating matters is whether or not you are using a casting resin. These mix in a thinner viscosity and fill a mold more easily.

Can you tell me about the resin you are using?

Tracy

I am using this resin.

https://shop.resinobsession.com/products/resin-obsession-super-clear-resin-6-oz-kit-jewelry-quality-resin

I generally use from three quarters of an ounce to an ounce of resin for 1 set of dice, but am still unable to fill the mold completely.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Tracy,

You are using a casting resin which is great news. This resin works great with a pressure pot, so I suspect you aren’t using enough resin. Have you tried warming the resin? That will make it flow easier into the mold making voids less likely.

Tracy

Yes, I place my resin containers into shallow boiling water before mixing them, then place my mixing cup in shallow boiling water while mixing and between pours. Despite this, when I attempt to pour the resin into the molds, I am unable to ever get the molds to fill properly.

eric Tulp

I would say you are not using enough resin. Im new to it as well but i have found an almoat perfect amount to make one set of dice. I use 17 or 18 grams of each hardner and resin. That is equal to just over one ounce. (1.2 onces) as well ive switched to using a plastic spoon for my last pour and it was the best yet. It helps you control the flow alot better as you can take less and not have to worry about dumping all of it.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘How to properly use Dice Molds?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube