How to Use a Pressure Pot

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Manuel 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Amy Griffith

Hello!

I am new to using resin and have had some success in casting using your super clear product but still have an issue with bubbles. I have a space heater, heat gun, mix slowly and deploy all of the other suggestions posted. I would like to try a pressure pot but I am struggling to find clear and specific instructions on how to use it with a resin that requires the length of cure time as an epoxy resin such as the super clear. Most of the resources I have found online are for castings with the use a resins with a relatively short cure time. I am casting jewelry (using moulds mostly purchased from you 🙂

So my questions are:

– Do you leave the mould in the pressure pot with the compressor running for the full cure time or just a portion of the cure time but left in the pressure pot?

– I have a very large compressor and it is very loud. Can a smaller one be used with say a 2 1/2 gallon pressure pot?

– I am a little confused about the use of both a vacuum, compressor and pressure pot – do I need all 3 for best results and if so, can you point me in the right direction for instructions?

– I read on your forum that the moulds will be fine in the pressure pot – is that the case for plastic and silicon moulds for jewelry?

• #15745 Reply

Katherine Swift
    Keymaster

Hi Amy,

I’m sorry to hear you are experiencing bubbles with the super clear resin. Have you tried warming up the resin first? That is what works best for me. I show how to do that here: https://youtu.be/ugQSgVIP2Uk

As for a pressure pot, the resin has to be under pressure the entire time while it is curing. In the case of the super clear resin, this will need to be 12 hours. The compressor may or may not need to be running the entire time. If you have a good seal on your pot, I would expect you would not need it running.

Pressure casting makes the bubbles so small that you can’t see them. Vacuum casting pulls the bubbles to the surface to try to get them to pop. In your case, you will want to pressure cast. Vacuum casting works great for silicone, but I find with epoxy resin it makes ‘beer foam’ on the top of the castings.

I have not pressure cast with plastic molds, but haven’t had a problem pressure casting silicone molds.

If you want to get a pressure pot, I recommend Grainger. Their pots are a little more expensive, but I think they are better made and safer.

• #80599 Reply

Matt

Are there any resins that cant be used in a pressure pot?

• #32470 Reply

Amanda

Hi Katherine
    I read the abive with interest.
    Can you post a link to the Grainger model you can recommend, and the compressor?
    And, will the pressure pot require many modifications – if so, what?
    Many thanks in advance!
    Amanda

• #59455 Reply

Maegan Rush

Sill question but can you use something like an Instant Pot or a canning pressure cooker or do you have to have a specific type or pressure pot?

• #80600 Reply

Matt

You need to use either a paint pressure pot that you can alter, or purchase one specifically for it. Manufacturers are just now starting to make them specifically for casting, in the past you had to alter the one made for commercial painting. Google resin pressure pot. You will need an air compressor and the pot.

• #82352 Reply

Manuel

I know it’s been over two weeks but you do need to use a pressure pot specifically designed for resin casting or, take a paint pot and make the necessary modifications.
      A regular cooking pot will not withstand the pressures necessary to cast resin. There are some videos of people taking regular cooking pressure pots and using them for resin casting. They haven’t been hurt…yet. A stove top pressure cooker or Instapot is rated to handle 10 to 15 psi. To get bubble free resin castings you need 40 to 60, depending on the resin manufacturer. I would not want to be around a pot that has been subjected up to 5 times it’s rated PSI when it blows.

Reply To: How to Use a Pressure Pot
Your information: