In the beginning…

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Richard

Hi,

The plan was to make a backgammon board in resin, with the main area a mix of light blue & white (think: clouds in a blue sky),
      with the points in 2 contrasting colours (also mixed with white).
      I have made a mold for all this (had to buy a table saw!), & have started to experiment with epoxy resin.

What I’ve learnt so far:
      – you have to mix like crazy, else the result will take days to cure & remain bendy & sticky.
      – when you add a 2nd coloured resin to the first immediately, the colours do their own thing.
      I now have a test piece with a distinct layer of white & a distinct layer of blue!
      – compared to polyester resin, the cure time is horrific! A long time ago, I re-modelled a fiberglass-bodied sports car.
      With polyester, once you’ve added the hardner, you have about 5 minutes to use the resin. Same with resin cement for fixing studding in masonary.
      – removing the points from the mold, then cleaning up the base layer looks to be difficult with no guarantee of the desired result!
      – polyethylene sheet works fine as release medium, but leaves marks (which I guess can be covered later with a thin layer of resin).

Plan B is to use parts of some old sea charts for the base & the points, covered with a coat of clear resin.
      Now I have to experiment with sealing the bits of paper.

Let’s see how this all works out!

Bye,

Richard
      Belgium

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Sounds like you’ve learned a lot, Richard. Keep us posted on your progress!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘In the beginning…’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube