Layering different kinds of resin

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift

This question comes through email by Rhonda:

I know I have seen this information somewhere, possibly on your website, but I would like information on how layering different types of resin would work.  I have  Ice Resin, 5 minute epoxy, and a couple of others on hand, without enough of any for a project.  There is enough if I use them as separate layers.  My main problem is, is there a problem with which resin is in contact with which? And how long should I wait before pouring the next layer?

Katherine Swift

Hi Rhonda,

I have done this with different brands of resin before and it has worked for me.  I would suggest making sure the layers are completely cured first and that youre using the same type (e.g dont do a layer of epoxy, then a layer of polyester, etc.)

Let us know how it works out for you!

Rhonda

I dont use polyester, only Ice resin and Devcon 5 Minute Epoxy.  I thought I had something else, but it was more Devcon 5 Minute Epoxy.

R. J. Hunter
      Rhonda

I tried adding  a little color to Devcon 5 Minute Epoxy, and it set like a rock before I could mix it!  Like instant freezing. The color just touched the surface of the resin and that was it.  I never saw anything act so fast. Is this normal for this resin?  The resin was freshly mixed and should not have been ready to set yet, just ready to pour.  I have used this resin for bonding broken resin articles and setting cabochons, and never had this happen.I had this resin for over a year, so might age have been part of it?

Rhonda J. Hunter
      Katherine Swift

Hi Rhonda, Im not familiar with that epoxy, but it sounds like whatever you added sped up the reaction and made things get hot and cure right away.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Layering different kinds of resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube