Lighting effects

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      R Whitworth

I have been trying to make a display that is an oversize LED. No problems with this at all, made silicone molds in several sizes and they work perfectly. I have been using polyester resin because there are no air bubble problems. My question is – is there something specific that I can mix into the resin that will make it (after curing) pick up different colors better than clear does. The small lights will change from red to green to blue at about 3 second intervals. The finished casting will be about 2″ in diameter and 3″ tall and domed on top [large replica of a real LED]. The second one is 2 1/2″ dia. and 5″ tall, also domed.
      The light will be encased in the base and shine upward.The light will change from all three colors. It starts off clear and is almost invisible in clear resin.
      I have tried adding fine silver flakes [very fine] and it tends to sparkle with color but not real consistant. I have also tried pearl powder and it does change color but is kind of cloudy the further away from the light.

I am just experimenting and need some advice on what to try next.
      Thanks in advance for any and all comments.
      Russ.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Russ,

I’m not sure I understand your question. Are you saying that once the resin cures, you can’t see the change in the lights very well?

R Whitworth

What I’m trying to say is – is there an additive I can add to my resin that will help it pick up light projected from the bottom of my casting. The projected light will change colors. I could tint my resin with a color but that would only help the one color. The silver foil powder made it sparkly (projected color only on the glitter, and the pearl powder worked but the color was absorbed by the lower portion leaving the upper portion darker and dull. I guess I’m asking for some kind of magic glass powder that reflects and not absorb.

I really don’t know what I’m doing – just experimenting. Smaller amount of Pearl didn’t work well either.

Thanks for your reply.
        Russ

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Lighting effects’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube