Making a board game

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katherine Swift

This question comes through email by Taylor:

My fiance and I are trying our hand at making some unique trinkets, and I have a question I was hoping you could answer. Im looking to try and make a board game using either bottle caps or cardboard labels…. However, I want to be able to see both sides of the board (top and bottom), to be able to flip it over to use both sides. Id like to make it out of a thin layer of epoxy resin, poured over whatever I choose to put inside of if.

So… I am trying to figure out how to make a mold that I can pour the resin into, and then obviously removed the mold. Can you offer a suggestion on this? I was looking through your website, and I read about using silicone rubber or platinum cure silicone rubber. I also saw that you sell a variety of silicone mold making materials. Is there one that might work for what I have in mind?

Thanks for your time!

Katherine Swift

Hi Taylor,

What a neat idea!  Here are a few of my thoughts:

While youre thought process is good here, I probably wouldnt do it the way youre thinking.  Heres why:

1.  You would need a lot of silicone (several pounds) and that would get expensive quickly.
      2.  You are going to need a template to made the board game from.  Therefore, youre going to need to source something like thick acrylic cut to your specifications.  Also expensive.
      3.  Something that large is probably going to be heavy.  Theoretically it shouldnt make a difference, but it might make it a bit inconvenient.

If I were going to do this, I would probably use a piece of thin plywood or particle board as my base.  You could then put your embellishments on top of that and coat with two thin layers of Envirotex Lite.  I would use the same technique that I talk about in this forum post:  https://www.resinobsession.com/Resin-Jewelry-Making-Forum/4/Resin-Troubleshooting/Tray-Help/1038.html 

I would love to see what you end up with on this project.  Please share pictures!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Making a board game’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube