Making a mold of a mannequin

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift

This question comes through email by Jessica:

I am in the process of creating something which is going to require me to paint on a mannequin as a mold.  I have heard of someone doing it before and it popped right off.  I have an old mannequin torso that a retailer got rid of. However,  after reading online, I discovered that mannequins are often made of fiberglass.  I am planning on using polyester resin (I want it to remain clear, but slight yellowing is not an issue), and I fear it will stick to the mannequin because thats what they use to repair fiberglass boats.  Is there any way I can use the mannequin as a mold and prevent the resin from sticking?  I cant afford to make a silicone cast of it because it is a much larger project than jewelry.  Also, how would I keep the resin from being cloudy as the surface will be exposed to air?

Katherine Swift

Hi Jessica,

You are right in that the polyester resin is likely to stick to this mannequin.  Even if you could get the cured polyester resin to come off, that casting wont be suitable as a mold because it isnt flexible enough to demold future castings.

While making a solid silicone mold would be incredibly expensive, you can use a brush on silicone to make a mold of the mannequin.  You can then build a support structure for the mold to cast into.  We dont sell any products that can do that, but I would instead refer you to the team at Smooth On (www.smooth-on.com).  In fact, they have a video here on how to do this process on their you tube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOyBawt1-Ec

Good luck!

Jessica

Great, thank you.  Since Id be molding on the outside and not the inside, how do you get the parts exposed to the air to cure and not remain tacky?  Is some form of wax or additive necessary?  

Thank you
      Jessica

To clarify, I am not duplicating the mannequin itself, I am making something that could fit onto a mannequin (or person) that is body fitted like those sculpted armor plates you seen in movies 🙂

Jessica

So it wouldnt be flat on either side

Katherine Swift

If you are using resin and mix it correctly, you shouldnt need any agent to help it so it isnt tacky. 

Katherine Swift

In reading your update, I have a another comment/question:

Since you are creating something for the mannequin to wear, I would suggest making a model of that item(s) in clay, then casting the clay in silicone.  You can then use that silicone mold to cast in resin.  I dont see why the brush on silicone mentioned previously couldnt work here either.

Jessica

Thank you.  I just realized my mannequin is made out of HDPE, which is probably less problematic.  Yay! However, I am using castin craft polyester resin (probably should have specified) and a lot of it will be exposed to air.  I read on their website the parts exposed to air can remain soft and sticky.  They have a spray, but someone said if it doesnt turn out just right it can turn it white :-o.  I need it to be entirely clear because I am embedding tissue paper and thin objects.  Any ideas how to prevent tackiness/cloudiness in the air exposed surface?

Thanks!

Jessica

Thank you.  I just realized my mannequin is made out of HDPE, which is probably less problematic.  Yay! However, I am using castin craft polyester resin (probably should have specified) and a lot of it will be exposed to air.  I read on their website the parts exposed to air can remain soft and sticky.  They have a spray, but someone said if it doesnt turn out just right it can turn it white :-o.  I need it to be entirely clear because I am embedding tissue paper and thin objects.  Any ideas how to prevent tackiness/cloudiness in the air exposed surface?

Thanks!

Jessica

Sorry about the double post

Katherine Swift

Hi Jessica,

Unfortunately, its the nature of polyester resin to remain tacky on the surface exposed to air.  If you are referring to the Castin Craft polyester resin, the manufacturer does have a curing agent that can be mixed into the resin to keep that from happening but will make the resin cloudy.  My best suggestion would be to coat it with a layer of our resin gloss sealer spray once the resin has cured.  You can find it here:  https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/castin-craft-gloss-resin-sealer-spray

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Making a mold of a mannequin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube