Making a pyramid out of resin

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Dhiren:

I am absolutely new to resins.

Could you help me

I loved your article on the type of resin to use.

Could you help me determine if resin would be the right material to make a two feet tall pyramid with high gloss? If yes, would polyurethane be the best option considering clarity, strength & weight (lighter the better)?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Dhiren,

Yes, a clear polyurethane would work for your project. If the finished casting was not glossy enough for you, you can polish it with a buffing wheel and the appropriate compound.

It will, however, be quite heavy. I don’t know how it compares to glass, but I can imagine it will be heavy to lift.

Dhiren

Thanks Katherine!

I will have to figure out another way in that case to reduce the weight, yet get the same clarity and clear edges for this one.

Dhiren

Ok… So I might be getting obsessed indeed with resin 😀

I am making some changes and for that was wondering if I could use resin liquid along with acrylic (sheet for example).

Is it possible to glue or bind epoxy resin and acrylic?

Doing this would likely help me here.

Then, would I be able to also gloss the surface and edges (if resin and acrylic are layered… sort of one on top of other – That is to say I sand both the resin and acrylic sheet thick edge together)?

Many Thanks!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hmm. I haven’t used resin and acrylic like this so I can’t tell you what to expect. Resin will also act as a glue, so I have no worries that it won’t hold together. Were you hoping to use power tools to sand and gloss the surface? Many epoxies don’t do well with that. I can’t say about acrylic sheet.

Resin can get heavy too. I’m not sure if the acrylic sheet would hold the weight of resin, etc. without bending if they are thick layers.

Rhonda

Have you considered using Lucite panels, like that used for car windows, cut in pyramid shapes? Seams will be visible, don’t know how to prevent that. Devcon 5 minute epoxy seems to work well. This would be lighter than a solid casting, but still heavy. Also, if a 3-sided pyramid, edges would have to be beveled for a smooth seam; a 4-sided pyramid would go together without beveling edges if cut correctly.

Dhiren

Well, you did read my mind as I expected 🙂

I did take a quick look at lucite before but seemed not to be what I wanted in the pyramid. Let me check out from the beveling perspective for 3 sided pyramid (which I wanted), plus the Devcon epoxy.

Many thanks!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Making a pyramid out of resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube